Kitchen Concoctions: 3 Seasonal Summer Sips to Try this Long Weekend!
Victoria Day Long Weekend marks the unofficial summer kickoff, and after a less than satisfactory spring, we couldn’t be more thrilled that sunshine and warmer nights are just on the horizon! At least, we hope… So to help commemorate the occasion, we felt it quite apt to share three seasonal sips that have summer written ALL over them! Because what’s a Long Weekend without a couple of delectable cocktails right?!
So whether you prefer a “docktail” at the cottage, or sipping on spritzers and sangria in the city, we guarantee there’s a cocktail for every kind of weekender on this list! Enjoy!
Summer Sips… Three Ways!
1. Rosemary Lemonade at the Cottage
Why we love it: Lemonade could not be more quintessentially summer, so we knew that we had to include our very own twist on this seasonal classic somewhere on the list! This is a light, refreshing beverage with a little bit of a twist – we opted to sweeten this beverage naturally with honey, and add a bit of rosemary (our favourite)!
- 3 Cups of Cold Water
- 1 Cup of Lemon Juice
- 1/3 Cup of Honey (this may vary, depending on how sweet you like your lemonade!)
- 3-4 Sprigs of Rosemary
- Lemon wedges (to garnish)
- Ice Cubes
- Add one cup of water to a pot, bring to a boil and add rosemary. Let simmer for five minutes, remove from the heat and allow it to cool!
- Remove sprigs, and pour this cup of water into a large pitcher
- Add all ingredients into the pitcher, stir!
- Add lemon wedges and a couple of sprigs of rosemary for garnish
- Pour into individual glasses!
2. Strawberry Lime Mojitos in the City
Why we love it: We’re not quite sure why, but we get more of a downtown city sort of feeling from mojitos! This strawberry lime mojito could not be more perfect to enjoy with friends over a backyard BBQ in the city!
- 4 tablespoons of strawberry jam (muddled)
- 4 tablespoons of lime juice
- 2 sprigs of mint (muddled)
- 6 strawberries
- Club Soda
- White Rum (to taste)
- Limes – to garnish
- Fill two separate cups with ice
- Add equal amounts of muddled fruit spread, mint & strawberry into each glass
- Add desired amount of rum *** Note: This drink is JUST as good without the rum, it makes for the most perfect refresher!!!
- Fill the remainder of glass with the club soda
3. Dark and Stormy’s at the Golf Course
Why we love it: Okay, so we wanted to amp up the masculinity a bit more for our third and final sip, and what better way to do that than with a dark and stormy?! We love that added kick and spice that comes along with this particular beverage (courtesy of the ginger beer). & we’re positive that you will too!
- 2 ounces of dark rum
- 5 ounces of ginger beer
- A dash of lime juice
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- Mix all of the ingredients into a glass
What are you going to be sipping on this summer?!